About the Public Registry
Developed as an online service, the Public Registry has been accessible to the public since proclamation of the Species at Risk Act (SARA). The website gives users easy access to documents and information related to SARA at any time and location with Internet access.
Section 123 of SARA, identifies documents that are required to be published in the Public Registry. Also included are all of the documents specified in various sections of the Act. The following list highlights key documents included in the Registry:
- regulations and orders made under the Act;
- agreements entered into under section 10;
- the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada's (COSEWIC) criteria for the classification of wildlife species;
- status reports on wildlife species that COSEWIC has had prepared or has received with an application;
- the List of Wildlife Species at Risk;
- codes of practice, national standards or guidelines established under the Act;
- agreements and reports filed under section 111 or subsection 113 (2) or notices that those agreements or reports have been filed in court and are available to the public; and
- every report made under sections 126 and 128.
A result of the collaborative effort between many partners and stakeholders, the Public Registry is a key tool in supporting public participation in decision making related to SARA. Environment and Climate Change Canada leads development of the Registry, but other organizations such as Fisheries and Oceans Canada and Parks Canada play an important role. More on the responsible authorities >
Note on Accessibility
Some documents on this website, are provided in the Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF). To access these documents, you must first download and install the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
If you are user with visual disabilities, please visit the following link for tools and information to help make files more accessible. If problems persist, please contact us and an alternative document format will be provided.
- Date Modified: